I hear occasional tea drinkers commonly complaining about the inability to completely get addicted to tea. Most of them usually like black tea (which is always a much safer choice), while green is considered a very dubious drink. There are many types of tea drinkers in the world – some drink tea for a pure pleasure it gives them, some drink it for the health benefits, and some drink it because they don't want to be rude by refusing a cup. Other do it only when they go down with a cold.
Genmaicha tea (Source: Tea Chronicles ©)
More than often I see a great disbelief in people's eyes when I say tea is my life. I wake up and drink tea. I drink a cup before going to bed. If I wake up during the night, I always have my cup right next to me. So, how is it possible to get so much addicted? There are few important things to consider if you want to join the tea addict club.
Steps to get addicted to tea
1. First, always try to choose fresh teas. Even the highest quality tea will taste bad if the freshness is gone. Buy loose leaf tea instead of teabags, it is always much fresher than dust and fannings found in supermarkets.
2. Don't be a tea snob. Explore options, explore types, explore flavors and build-up your tea collection. Try making notes of your tea tastings. You will see how much progress you can make in one year which can be quite motivational.
3. Buy a good teapot. Seriously, a good teapot saves a lot of time. It will become your best friend and you will always know how much leaves and water you need.
4. Read about tea – read all you can about tea – from blogs to books, there are some quite passionate tea drinkers that always want to share their knowledge and passion with you.
5. Learn how to brew each type of tea correctly. Every tea has a different personality and should be brewed with care and patience. You will be rewarded, trust me. If you brew all teas the same way, most of them will taste the same – green tea steeped for 10 minutes in boiling water will always taste bitter and murky, no matter which quality or type you choose.
One day you will run into a tea that will literally knock you off your feet and you will never be able to go back. There is a tea for everyone.