Hello Everyone! My name is Joanna, and I am a new guest blogger here at California Tea House. I will do my best to provide you with blogs that will help to improve your mind, body, and soul. Enjoy!
"Top Ten Tips to Eating and Feeling Your Best"
(1) Eat breakfast. Eating in the A.M. will jump-start your metabolism. Studies show if you blow-off breakfast, you’ll be more likely to grab for junk-food around lunch time. A balanced breakfast includes whole grains, a little protein, and a fruit or vegetable. Try an egg white omelet with veggies and a sprinkle of feta cheese. Serve with whole grain toast on the side and an orange.
(2) Drink water. The recommended ounce amount is half of your body weight. So if you weigh 140 pounds, you would need 70 ounces which is about nine 8-ounce bottles. Don't forget to add a cup of green tea a day as well for antioxidants and many other health benefits.
(3) Choose foods wisely. Make sure your diet is high in fruits and vegetables; high-fiber grains; and small amounts of lean protein. When in doubt, choose whole, unprocessed foods.
(4) Sleep well. When you deprive yourself of sleep, you are more likely to overeat. This is a fact. Make sure you are getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep, if possible.
(5) Snack. To prevent a drop in blood sugar and a craving for sweets, keep a nutritious snack in your purse or car. Great snack options include a mix of whole grains and protein. Try an apple with peanut butter or whole grain crackers with string cheese.
(6) Practice Portion Control. Try turning down seconds, unless it’s of vegetables. Eat five smaller meals instead of three large ones. This method will stabilize your blood sugar and keep you from overeating at any given meal.
(7) Stay away from “Fat-Free” and “Sugar-Free” Foods. Just because a food is labeled fat-free or sugar-free, it doesn't mean it's low in calories. Also, the fake sugar will actually make you hungrier. If it’s sugar that you crave, have a small piece of the real thing. A great example is a small chunk of real dark chocolate.
(8) Combine Cardio and Weights. Weight-training builds muscle and helps you slim down. It elevates the metabolic rate, so you'll burn more calories while your body's at rest. Cardio helps melt the fat that covers your muscles.
(9) Breathe Deeply. Stress can do everything from storing fat, since cortisol is released, to causing emotional eating. Make sure to take a few moments various times during the day to breathe. Maybe even take up yoga, prayer, or meditation.
(10) Make Lists. To stay focused and organized, make “To Do” lists of everything you want to accomplish. Whether it be food and exercise goals, or chores that need to be done.