With high temperatures sweeping the United States and the vacation season upon us, it might just be time to have a tasty, cold treat. What better way to do that than by incorporating healthy green tea? Organicauthority.com recently posted a wonderful recipe for Green Tea ice cream. The recipe doesn't require an ice cream maker and offers a creative twist on traditional ice cream. All you need is a freezer and the ability to stir. Why don't you give it a try?
Ingredients to serve 4-6
- 4 tablespoons green tea powder (matcha)
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Making the ice cream
- combine the matcha with 4 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl and mix well
- in another bowl, whip together the egg yolks and remaining sugar.
- heat the milk in a saucepan but do not let it boil. Remove it from heat and add several spoonfuls of milk to the matcha mixture. Mix well into a green paste and add the paste back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk, stirring well.
- Add the egg mixture to the saucepan. Heat until it coats the back of a spoon. Do not let it boil. Remove and let it cool completely.
- Whip the cream and add to the green tea mixture.
- Put it into the freezer. Chill the mixture in the fridge for 2 hours and then move it to the freezer. As it freezes, break up the ice crystals by stirring the mixture every 30 minutes.