Over a half million people die every year from heart disease. Although heart disease in some cases can be cured, the key to avoiding heart disease is prevention.
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are five key steps to preventing heart disease:
1) Do not use tobacco of any kind (luckily, smoking is no longer considered cool)
2) Try to exercise at least 30 minutes a day (a walk is one of those things that's only tough to get started, but you love it once your up and moving)
3) Eat a heart healthy diet (less fats, sugar and salt - more fruits and veggies)
4) Maintain a healthy body weight (losing just 10% of your body weight will greatly reduce your blood pressure)
5) Have regular check-ups (visit your doctor once a year whether you feel bad or not - early detection is a life saver - always check your blood pressure and cholesterol levels)
And now, according to the medical journal Preventative Medicine, drinking 3 cups of black tea a day can greatly reduce your risk of heart disease. Almost 90% of the study's participants enjoyed the following health benefits from drinking black tea:
- Over 18% reduction in resting blood sugar levels
- 36% reduction in triglyceride levels
- 17% improvement on the ratio of LCL cholesterol to HDL cholesterol
Drinking black tea also packs your blood stream with polyphenols, the antioxidants which help protect your blood vessels against stress and inflammation contributing to a healthier heart.
New to black tea? Try our special, healthy-heart blend, Almond Butter. Our Almond Butter tea blends the health benefits of black tea with Almonds and cinnamon. According to the Mayo Clinic, Almonds help reduce cholesterol levels and prevent blood clots while regular consumption of cinnamon can help reduce the risk of diabetes which can lead to heart disease.